- Public Works
- Trash Collection
- The trash cart shall weigh no more than 200 pounds with trash.
- Trash in plastic bags or recycling buckets will not be collected. All trash must be in the Princeton trash cart.
- Cart shall be placed on the road pavement, no more than two (2') feet in front of the curb or edge of the roadway while maintaining a minimum of three (3') feet of spacing between receptacles and any other obstructions which may be present in the roadway.
- Carts shall be placed on the road pavement no earlier than 7 PM the day before collection and no later than 7 AM on the day of collection.
- Central Business District shall place carts no earlier than 9 PM the day before collection and no later than 6 AM on the day of collection.
- No empty cart shall remain in the view from the public right-of-way after 11:59 PM on the day of collection.
- Central Business District - no empty cart shall remain the view from the public right-of-way after 10:00 AM on the day of collection
- Latex paint cans may be disposed of in the trash as long as they are completely dry. Kitty litter or sand can be added to the paint cans to dry it out.
With this cart program, only trash in the municipal-owned cart(s) will be collected. Loose or bagged trash that is not in the cart will not be collected.
Residents in need of smaller or additional trash cart may visit the Municipality’s website to request a new cart. Smaller 32-gallon trash carts are free to swap. An additional 32 OR 64-gallon cart will also be available for an annual fee.
The 64-gallon trash carts are 43.25” tall, 24.5” wide, and 27.5” deep. The 32-gallon trash carts are 37.63” tall, 19.13” wide, and 21.06” deep.
For more information and detailed cart specifications, please visit IPL’s website.
Broken or damaged cart?
- Online - coming soon!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 609-688-2566
Need an additional cart?
With an annual fee, residents may request one additional cart per household. Additional carts will be delivered to the front of your home March 2023 via DPW. Please mail the completed application with a check payable to "Princeton" to: Department of Infrastructure and Operations 400 Witherspoon Street Princeton, NJ 08540
Once you receive your new trash cart and you can no longer use your old trash can, there are lots of other ways you can reuse your cans to make a backyard composter, rain barrel, or use it for storage of leaves and brush. Here's a great article for even more suggestions.
Bulk waste is an item too large to fit inside your trash cart such as mattresses (must be wrapped in plastic), desks, chairs, sofas, or other furniture. Residents are limited to two bulk items per week not to exceed 50 pounds each.
Construction materials, electronics, automotive parts, appliances, or flammable items will not be collected.
Bulk waste is collected on Wednesdays. Residents must make a reservation the Sunday before by 11:59 p.m. The haulers have a capacity of 100 homes. You will be notified of your bulk collection date once scheduled. Do not place bulk curbside until you receive your assigned date.
Curbside bulk waste will not be picked up without a reservation. Please have the following information available: Name, telephone, email, address of bulk collection, accurate description of bulk items (maximum two items)
- Online English: Click here
- Online Spanish: Click here
- Email: email@example.com
Residential Bulk Waste Regulations
- Residents shall place a maximum of 2 large bulk items no larger than 6 feet long by 3 feet wide, weighing less than 50 pounds each. Examples of bulk items include:
- Plastic-wrapped Mattress and/or box spring (these must be wrapped in plastic or they will not be collected)
- Mirrors (they must be wrapped completely in tape to prevent shattering)
- Most home furnishings
- Small metal file cabinets
- Sofa (Up to a 3 seater. Sectionals must be taken apart)
- Rugs cut into 3-foot sections, no wider than 12 inches, weighing less than 50 pounds
- Bulk materials shall be placed curbside (off the road surface and sidewalks) in an area no larger than 6 feet long by 3 feet wide.
- Air conditioners
- Appliances (water heaters, ovens, stoves, washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc.)
- Automotive parts
- Broken concrete, bricks/pavers
- Building materials and construction debris
- Electronics and televisions (computers, monitors, televisions, etc.) (See Electronic Waste Events)
- Flammable items (propane tanks, lawnmowers, grills, oil-based paint cans, etc.)
- Hot tubs, spas, and covers
- Leaves, brush/yard debris, dirt
- Recyclables (See Recycling Schedule)
- Swing sets
If your trash has not been collected by 7 PM of your scheduled pick-up day please report it online. Please provide the following information with your report:
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Date of the scheduled collection
- Time left at the curb
- Number of containers left at the curb
Please leave your missed trash cart at the curb for collection, unless notified otherwise by the Department of Engineering and Infrastructure Operations.
For detailed information on our new trash collection program, we have put together a document to answer all your questions. You can also visit our Community Hub Website for up-to-date trash program information.
Princeton is collected weekly by the Municipality's contractor Interstate Waste Services. Please visit our Trash Collection Schedule By Street to know your collection day.
Eligible residents (one to four dwelling units) will receive one new 64-gallon wheeled trash cart for use in a semi-automated trash collection program. For properties with more than 5 units, the property owner is responsible for contracting privately for trash collection.
Starting the week of March 20th, 2023, only trash placed in these carts will be collected. If you did not receive a new trash cart, please email the Waste Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Existing trash cans that are no longer needed by residents will be collected for disposal the week of March 13th, on your trash collection day. Please indicate with a note on your old trash cans, "TRASH".
2023 Trash Collection Schedule
Trash is collected weekly by section. When the scheduled collection day occurs on one of the following holidays, pick-up will occur on the date listed below:
- Monday, May 29, 2023 - Collection will be Tuesday, May 30, 2023
- Tuesday, July 4, 2023 - Collection will be Wednesday, July 5, 2023
- Monday, September 4, 2023 - Collection will be Tuesday, September 5, 2023
- Thursday, November 23, 2023 - Collection will be Friday, November 24, 2023
The Municipality has partnered with Recycle Coach, an address-based app that can be downloaded from the iTunes or Google Play app store. The app offers information about Princeton’s recycling program that is serviced by Mercer County Improvement Authority.
You can also access your recycling, trash, and leaf and brush schedules, and set alerts and reminders so you never miss your collection days. The communication feature lets you submit questions or issues instantly to our office for a timely reply. No smartphone? No problem! Enjoy the desktop-friendly version. Visit the Recycling in Princeton webpage and type in your address to get started.