Raffles & Bingo
Procedure for Obtaining Raffle / Bingo License
- Any Organization applying for a Raffle/Bingo License must have an identification number which is issued by the State of New Jersey, Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission 973-273-8000 and you must present the original Registration Certificate to the Municipal Clerks Office when filing an application to conduct raffles.
- Filing: License applications should be made to "Princeton" and shall be filed in quadruplicate with the Municipal Clerks Office and the original Registration Certificate must be provided with the application. All signatures must be originals and notarized and at least two signatures must be on the applications. Applications cannot be accepted if the original Registration Certificate is not provided.
- The Municipal Clerk Office files the application with the Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission (LGCCC). The Municipal Clerk may not issue the License for 14 days after filling with Legalized Games. This means that organizations may not have tickets printed until the License is issued to them by the Municipal Clerk.
- Contents of the Ticket: off-premise raffles (selling tickets prior to the date of the raffle). Whenever a licensee shall submit an application to the Municipal Clerk, two sample ticket forms must accompany the application.
- Name and identification number of the qualified organization and number of the license issued for the occasion
- Place where the occasion will be held and the date and time
- A list of the prizes and the retail value of each
- The number of the ticket
- Price of the ticket
- The purpose to which the entire net proceeds will be devoted
- The statement:
No substitution of the offered prize may be made and no cash will be given in lieu of the prize.
- The presence of the holder of a ticket shall not be required in order to win unless the ticket bears the statement
NOT VALID UNLESS HOLDER IS PRESENT AT THE DRAWING.
- The stub of each ticket shall bear the name and address of the holder, the number of the ticket, the raffle license number issued for the occasion and the identification number of the organization.
- Off-premise 50/50 cash raffle
Same as number 4, except for item c. shall read:
- The statement:
this is a 50/50 cash raffle and the winner will receive 50% of the amount received for all tickets or rights to participate.
If the prize pool is to be divided among multiple winners, the ticket must indicate the percentage of the prize pool that each winner will receive.
- The statement:
- Fees due to LGCCCand Princeton:
- Off-premise raffle: $20 for each $1,000 or part thereof made payable to Princeton and $20 for each $1,000. or part thereof to LGCCC of the retail value of the prize. (i.e. a raffle with the total amount of the prizes being $2,559. would pay Princeton $60 and $60 to LGCCC.) Fees are due at the time the application is filed with the Municipal Clerk Office.
- Off-premise 50/50 raffles; $20 fee shall be paid the LGCCC and $20 to Princeton at the time the application is filed. In the event that the awarded prize exceeds $1,000, then an additional fee of $20 per thousand or part thereof in value of the awarded prize shall be forwarded to LGCCC together with the Report of Raffles Operations.
- On-premise raffles: (a raffle conducted in which all tickets are sold only at the event and not prior to the event) $20 to LGCCC and $20 to Princeton.
- "Casino Nights": $100 to each Princeton and LGCCC and Form 13 must also be filed with the application.
- Bingo: $20 to LGCCC and $20 to Princeton. Checks should be made payable to Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission and to Princeton.
- Prohibited Prizes
- No licensee shall offer any prize of real estate or an interest therein, bonds, stocks, securities, weapons, live animals, personal or professional services, motor vehicle leases, foreign or domestic coins, or any merchandise refundable in any of the foregoing or in money or cash.
- No prize consisting of cash or money may be offered or awarded except in the case of a 50/50 raffle.
- Report of Raffles/Bingo Operations
The report of operations shall be filed by the licensee with LGCCCno later than the 15th day of the calendar month immediately following the calendar month in which the licensed activity was held.
- Off-premise raffle licensees shall secure from the printer of tickets a certificate showing:- The number of tickets printed - The first and last numbers used - That the tickets were consecutively numbered - A sample of the actual ticket
For any additional information, you may need, please contact the office of the Clerk at 609-924-5704 or Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission at 973-273-8000 or visit New Jersey Consumer Affairs.