Opening a business in Princeton involves multiple departments depending on a variety of factors.
- Maintain an existing use location (Retail, Service, Office, Restaurant, etc.): Please contact the Zoning Officer, Derek Bridger to confirm that the use is the same as the existing use.
- Any new signage will require Zoning approval.
- If the property is located in a Historic Preservation District, review by the Historic Preservation Commission is required prior to Zoning review. Please contact Elizabeth Kim, Historic Preservation Officer for more information.
- Façade renovations usually require a site plan and Historic Preservation review if the property is located in a Historic District. If there are no variances typically the process is handled as an administrative waiver of site plan. Please contact the Zoning Office to review the scope of work.
- New business involving a change of use: The process for signs, external alterations is the same as referenced above.
- Additional contacts for specific businesses are listed below:
- Restaurants: Contact the Health Department, Fire Marshall, and the Sewer Department for specific guidance.
- Hair/nail salons: Contact the Health and Sewer Departments.
- Laundromats: Contact the Sewer Department.