What should I do if there is a bat in my house?

Bats in Living Spaces of Your House

If a bat is in the living space of your home such as a bedroom or living room and you cannot rule out the possibility of exposure, leave the bat alone and contact the Animal Control Officer by calling the Police Dispatch center for assistance 609-921-2100.

Bats in Unfinished Spaces or out Buildings

If the bats are living in your attic, chimney, unfinished basement, or outbuildings you should try to bat-proof the living space of your home or consult with a private pest control company that can help you prevent the bats from entering living spaces. It is illegal to kill or hire anyone to kill bats. Thoroughly examine your home for holes that may allow bats entry and caulk any openings larger than 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch. Use windows screen, chimney caps, and draft guards beneath doors to basements and attics, fill electrical and plumbing holes, and check for holes or tears in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) ducts.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if there is a bat in my house?
2. What should I do if a bat landed on me or touched me?
3. What should I do if I was bitten by a bat?
4. Could my pet have been exposed to a bat?